Friday, May 28, 2010

Tales from the Diplomatic Corps 11

Hey folks!

Wow, we have a world premiere here - today marks the first time I write two blog entries on one day, hooray! I just didn't have the heart to deprive you from my memory with the charming Alina Nyukthina, Young Ambassador from Russia. (Btw: Did you see her funny move at the end of the video? I start getting the impression that we should start a Young Ambassador cheer leading team!)

On our first evening in Singapore, we had this big get together with the CEP champs and all sorts of people. You might know that feeling when you come to a strange place to mingle with people, you feel kinda shy. Well, that was not very much the case with us! Still, the local organizers started out breaking the ice by inviting people on stage, asking them to present themselves. Alina was chosen as a Young Ambassador to introduce herself to the crowd. So Alina told us her name, her age and where she comes from. And of course what she was doing. That she was a teacher for foreign languages, going for her masters degree, being the editor-in-chief of a local newspaper and of course being an ambassador. Apparently, I was not the only one impressed by her account, because the MC's only comment was:

"Gosh, and I thought we only have 24 hours a day!"

When talking about the Young Ambassador role, people often ask me what you have to do to be named an Ambassador. Usually, I tell them some stuff every HR person would love to hear: That you have to excel academically, have a background in sports and education, are a team player, speak English fluently and so on. While this is all true, I guess this is not the real deal. So what I usually tell people is the quote from above: "Young Ambassadors are people, who's day has more than 24 hours!"

Of course I don't mean this literally (Despite some circulating rumors, we have not yet succeeded in breaking the space-time continuum). What I mean is that to be a Young Ambassador/CEP champion/champion in general, you have to take as much out of the time you have as possible. True, every one of us only has 24 hours a day. However, the difference lies in what we do in those 24 hours as well as how and if we make them count. And Alina definitely does make hers count...

No comments:

Post a Comment