Friday, May 28, 2010

John Wooden's Seven Point Creed

Hey folks!

Today, I did something fun. My handball team was invited to test a brand new laser tag arena in my hometown. Basically, laser tag is like paint ball, just with lasers instead of bullets. It's great fun and while playing, you really feel like being part of a Star Wars movie.

However, this blog is not about how much fun I had pretending to be Han Solo. At the wall of the new center, there is a quote by John Wooden, a very famous college basketball coach.

"It doesn't matter who starts the game, but who finishes it"

I admit that this is probably not the most stunning quote I had on this blog so far. Still, I was curious to find out who this John Wooden was and why somebody bothered to write his quote in big letters on the wall. While browsing through his biography (I admit that it was on Wikipedia...it's just so convenient ;)), I found some remarkable stuff. Apparently, John's father had given him a seven point creed upon graduation (and even if he did not, it's still an awesome creed!).
  • Be true to yourself.
  • Make each day your masterpiece.
  • Help others.
  • Drink deeply from good books.
  • Make friendship a fine art.
  • Build a shelter against a rainy day.
  • Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.
I'll leave the last point up to everyone's personal religious views, however, I think if we all lived our lives by this creed, topped with some friendship, excellence and respect, we'd all be off pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment