Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tag des Sports

Hey folks,

Today I went to the "Tag des Sports", which translates to "Day of Sports". It is an event taking place in Vienna, celebrating and presenting the myriad of different sports organizations and federations in Austria. Originally, I thought I could not go there, because I had a course at university (my last one ever, yay!). However, we finished a little earlier, so off I went to the Heldenplatz in the heart of Vienna.

As outlined above, all Austrian federations, sports organizations, sports governing bodies and basically any entity dealing with sports gather at the "Tag des Sports". Needless to say, also the Austrian Olympic Committee (AOC) and Innsbruck 2012 both had a stand there. They were also featured on the main stage. Unfortunately, I missed the Innsbruck 2012 performance, however, according to very credible sources, it was stunning :)

A personal highlight was when our athletes from the Singapore 2010 YOG were presented with an award afterwards. Martina (wrestling), Lara (sailing), Viki (canoe), Michael (judo), Kira (pole vault) and Luis (triathlon) received a trophy for their "outstanding services to the Republic of Austria". First of all, it was very nice for me to see the guys again and hear that they are doing great (I also talked to our swimmer, Jakub, who has just aced his final exams, so luckily also their educational careers are on track. My efforts as a Young Ambassador have paid off ;)).

Second, when the MC was reading out their achievements, you could see that they have been quite busy since Singapore: Martina won two medals at the European and the World Junior Wrestling Championships, Viki and Lara crowned themselves European and World Champions respectively, Kira qualified for the European Junior Athletics Championships and so on. Of course, there are many factors contributing to those guys being so awesome in what they are doing. However, I have a strong feeling that the YOG 2010 play(ed) quite a considerable role in their development as well.

I have a very strong feeling that I will hear from all of them again pretty soon :)

So long,
Flo

All pictures © Innsbruck 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment