Monday, April 26, 2010

Tales from the Diplomatic Corps 2

Hey folks!

Today I'll continue my little series on memories I had with the Young Ambassadors, based on our presentations on the cube. I started out with Elise last week and talked about the secret of becoming a champion. Today I wanted to write about a memory with the next one in line, which happens to be...me! Well, that's tricky. Call me self-absorbed, but I'm still going to write a little about myself since I happen to have some memories involving me as well. Besides, yesterday was my birthday, which for me is always a time of reflection (and of course partying), so that might fit rather well.

When I went to Singapore, I thought I had seen quite a bit in life. I've lived and worked in six countries so far, was a master student and had more than 10 years experience as an athlete (retrospectively comparing this to the other ambassadors, I should have known way better, but bear with me!). Don't get me wrong: I knew that Singapore would be another great experience, however, I far underestimated its impact on me. I don't really know how to describe it, so I'll quote by memory from a novel I really like (The Hottest State by Ethan Hawke - that's right, THAT Ethan Hawke!):

"I can't describe it. It's just that I feel that I must have done something right in life, since it has led me to this very moment."

On the last day in Singapore, I was chosen to say a few words of thank you to some people. I was really nervous before, being given the fact that I had to give a speech for some hundred people in two languages I'm not a native in. Shortly before it was time, I talked to Gan Su-Lin, who gave an excellent presentation on cultural differences (check out Erin's latest blog on that!!). We were talking and she gave me some encouragement. Before I left to deliver my speech, I thanked her and said: "You know, I'm just a little insecure, because I'm still in development." She just smiled at me and replied: "We all are!"

I know I'm using this phrase quite a bit, but yeah: This is what it's all about! We are all in a constant state of flux (if you know from which song this quote comes, I owe you an ice kachang :)). However, since we are all in the same boat, there will always be somebody to assist us in our development. And just as I had the great help of Gan Su-Lin, I'll try to help the young athletes in Singapore with their development as well. So if you are an athlete going to Singapore, just look for the nice Austrian with the funny poses ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment